Buenos Aires Botanical Garden
The Buenos Aires Botanical Garden (Jardín Botánico Carlos Thays de la Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires) is a public garden located in the Palermo district, in the north of the city. It is bordered by Avenida Santa Fe, Avenida Las Heras and Calle República Árabe Siria. According to Abbreviationfinder, Buenos Aires is often abbreviated as BA.
The garden forms a connected recreational area with the zoological garden, the Parque Tres de Febrero and the Japanese garden. It covers an area of around 70,000 m² and is home to around 5,000 types of plants as well as a number of sculptures, monuments and five greenhouses.
The garden was designed by the Franco-Argentine landscape architect Carlos Thays (1849-1934) and opened on September 7, 1898.
The garden is divided into the following three zones:
– Roman garden The Roman garden houses trees that grew in the garden of the hobby botanist and Senator Pliny the Younger (61 AD-113) in the garden of his villa in the Apennines, so Cypresses, poplars and laurel trees.
– French garden The French garden is laid out in the style of the 17th and 18th centuries, the time of absolutism.
– Oriental garden The oriental garden is home to plants from Asia – including gingko trees, from Oceania, as well as acacias, eucalyptus and casuarina and European plants such as oak and hazelnut and plants from Africa, including palm trees.
In addition, numerous plants from North and South America grow here, such as sequoias and foil silk trees and there is an extensive collection of native vegetation.
In 1996 the Botanical Garden was added to the list of National Monuments of Argentina.
The freely accessible public park is located in the Caballito district on Avenida Patricias Argentinas.
The park was laid out in memory of the May Revolution of 1810 on an area of around 10 hectares and opened in 1910, 100 years later – hence the name.
The plans for the park came from the Franco-Argentine landscape architect Carlos Thays (1849-1934). Nowadays it is used as a sports and leisure park, so there is a skate area, play areas for children and of course lots of green areas.
A 2,000 m² lake, which was created later, is ideal for walking and jogging. The park’s amphitheater was inaugurated in 1951 by President Juan Perón (1895-1974), but it burned down in 1955.
As part of a general renovation of the park, it was rebuilt in 2009.
On the weekends there are many small market stalls in the park that sell books and handicrafts, among other things. In addition, the natural science Museo de Ciencias Naturales Bernardino Rivadavia has its seat at the park. Parque de 3 de Febrero The extensive park in the Palermo district was built in 1890. Various smaller and larger gardens invite you to relax. It is also known as “Parque Palermo”. Jardín Japonés In the Asian-looking park there are several ponds, bridges and waterfalls. Original Japanese ornamental fish swim in the largest lake in the park.
Parque Natural y Reserva Ecológico
This approximately 350 hectare nature reserve on the Río de la Plata consists of meadows, scrub and forest. You can also find lagoons and wetlands here.
Around 250 species of birds, 9 species of amphibians, 23 species of reptiles and 10 species of mammals live here. Around 50 species of butterflies were also counted.
The city’s residents like to use the park as a local recreation and sports facility.
At the south entrance at the Fuente Nereidas fountain, which was designed by Lola Mora, you can borrow bicicletas, for example, to ride the 8 km circular path through the park.
The impressive view of the skyline of Buenos Aires is also worth mentioning.
Avenida Tristán Achával Rodríguez 1550
Tierra Santa (Holy Land) is a religious theme park in the style of a religious Disney park in the middle of Buenos Aires. On Good Friday and Easter, the crucifixion and resurrection story is presented by Jesus.
The Last Supper, the Way of the Cross, the crucifixion of Jesus or the burning of Judas are staged.
There are also thousands of visitors to the park. The whole thing looks pretty kitschy to Central Europeans, but the performances have a long tradition in Argentina and are considered religious highlights.
On “normal” days the park seems rather calm and a larger than life Jesus figure rises from a hill, turns in a circle and disappears again.
It is interesting that Muslim or Jewish traditions are also cultivated here. So the local Jews can deposit their wish lists in the cracks of a wailing wall – as in Jerusalem – which are brought to Jerusalem once a year.
Some of the employees are disguised as Franciscan monks or as Romans.
Av. Costanera Rafael Obligado
La Recoleta Cemetery
The huge La Recoleta Cemetery (Cementerio de la Recoleta) is located in the Recoleta district of Buenos Aires. The cemetery was opened in 1822. Many of the “rich and famous” of the city and Argentina were buried on it.
Many of the 7,000 mausoleums, most of which are adorned with marble figures and elaborate domes, appear like small palaces.
The most visited tomb is that of Eva (Evita) Perón (1919-1952), the second wife of President Juan Perón (1895-1974).
Right next to the entrance to the cemetery is the Bisilica del Pilar from 1732. Private photography is permitted.